3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2018 5:44 AM by Ian Anderson RSS

Windows service are being stopped during hfscheck

dpsarilla

Team,

Host OS: Esxi 6.5

VM OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 (Datacenter)

VCenter is also installed & taking backups through VDP.

Issue is when VDP integrity checks are running few of my application services are stopping on VM  and they are able to run only after VDP integrity checks are done.

I checked it again by running  integrity check manually- still it is the same few of my application services were stopping.

While I was check on status of integrity checks it says hfscheck is in progress. Does the Application Services in Guest OS (VM) do link

with HFSCheck and stop them? I am losing data for 1 hour critical data during this process.

Could you please help me with the issue?

• 1. Re: Windows service are being stopped during hfscheck
    Ian Anderson

There is no mechanism for VDP to stop Windows services on other VMs during integrity checks. It sounds like the datastore where the VMDKs for your VDP and your Windows VM are stored may be having I/O contention.

• 2. Re: Windows service are being stopped during hfscheck
    dpsarilla

Thanks for you reply Ian.

We are using a single datastore (ISCSI) for all VMDKs and 3 DELL host machines with Esxi 6.5 connected to single datastore. All these DELL Host machines are equipped with 120 GB RAM. There is no load balacing for this architecture.

Does VDP & Windows VM on same host machine can cause this issue? They are Windows VMs are of same type in another host machine connected to same data storage which is not effected during integrity checks.

• 3. Re: Windows service are being stopped during hfscheck
    Ian Anderson

I suggested I/O mainly because the VDP integrity check can be quite I/O intensive. If other VMs aren't affected, it may not be I/O contention.

Still, this sounds like some kind of resource contention issue. I'd recommend setting up monitoring for I/O utilization, memory, CPU, etc.. You should probably review the System and Application event logs on the Windows system to see if there is evidence of the root cause there.

VDP does not stop third party services on other guest VMs.