4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2018 2:47 AM by khemdev RSS

Avamar backup retention question

khemdev

Greetings all,

can someone explain to me (or point me in the right direction) how an image backup that is considered a monthly is equivalent to 6 daily backups in Avamar?  The same thing for weekly backups, they are equivalent to 3 daily backups according to Avamar documentation.  Is the backup that is being done on the first of the month different than what is being done on the daily backups?  I thought all the backups are considered "synthetic fulls" (please correct me if I am wrong); and the backup tag just tells Avamar how long to keep that backup around, for example, keep monthly backups for 3 months.  Isn't that monthly backup just a regular daily backup that will be kept around longer?

Hopefully, I am making sense.

Thank you,

Kapildev Khemraj

• 1. Re: Avamar backup retention question
    J.H. - end user

I don't set mine by Yearly, Monthly Weekly or Daily

I just do daily's

but a yearly backup is the first backup of the year

Monthly (I think) is the first of the month

Weekly the first of the week

Daily  - duh...

so you can say keep yearly's for 7 years  (well that is only 7 backups)

if you go to Backup and Restore and Cjoose the Manage tab

them retrieve for more than one your

you can see the Retention Tags

All of mine have D some have DW DM or even DWMY

read the manual about retention settings it explains it really good.

you might night have room for 6 months of daily backup

so you might keep Monthly for 6 , Weekly for 90 and daily for 60

• 2. Re: Avamar backup retention question
    khemdev

Thank you J.H. for the reply, I greatly appreciate it.

I get that you can tag these backups as Monthly, Weekly, Yearly, etc.  I guess my question really is, A monthly backup, weekly backup, or a yearly backup are just really a daily backups that is all, right?  Besides the fact that monthly backups are take on the 1st of each month, that backup taken on say 3/1/18 is really no different than the backup taken on 3/2/18 (disregarding the changes for now); the only difference is that the backup on 3/1/18 is tagged as daily/monthly and the backup taken on 3/2/18 is tagged as a daily.  Is that the only difference?  The docs state the amount of unique data for monthly backups is equivalent to six daily backups, how is that?  What type of backup is being done on the first of the month that allows it to have unique data that is equivalent to 6 daily backups?  We keep daily backups for 30 days and monthly backups for 3 months at our site; I am just having a hard time understanding how a monthly backup really differs from a daily other than it is tagged as such and it occurs on the first of each month.

Again thank you for the reply.

• 3. Re: Avamar backup retention question
    dynamox

no different, just retained for longer period.

• 4. Re: Avamar backup retention question
    khemdev

Thank you dynamox for the reply.  Greatly appreciate it.