4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2018 2:47 PM by xenzor RSS

Process for building new Networker server and historical restores?

xenzor

Good morning All,

I was hoping for some guidance or advice on building up a new Networker server.

Some background, we currently have a networker server running NW v8.2.3, approx. 5 storage nodes and 400~ clients backing up to DataDomain and Tape backup. Unfortunately over the years this has become hard to manage and the setup is very messy.

Rather than performing an in-place upgrade we would like to look at the option of building a NEW Networker 9.2 server.

I would like to then move away from tradition file based backups as we currently do and move toward a full VM level backup (VMware) setup.

In my mind we will:

- Build the new server
(including vProxy's)

- Setup the new clients and test them
- Once confirmed backing up disable the schedule from the old server.

My questions is mainly regarding licensing. I understand I will need to upgrade my current license to 9.2 including the capacity licensing.

Will this render my old server in-active ?  We require a period (up to a few months) of running both server A and server B side by side while we transition over all the clients.

My second question is regarding historical restores, Is it possible to RESTORE from a sever that is inactive due to not having the base license ?

Apologies if this is not the correct section and thanks for any help!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Process for building new Networker server and historical restores?
    bingo

Of course you can start a new data zone/ a new NetWorker server.

By default, a NW eval license will be valid for 90 days.

Because of a new licensing scheme you need a new (NW 9 license) anyway.

You must not necessarily remove the old license from the current server. So there is no licensing issue.

You have 2 licensed data zones but Dell/EMC just counts the backup volume capacity. So this should not be an issue.

• 2. Re: Process for building new Networker server and historical restores?
    xenzor

Great, thank you for the information bingo!

• 3. Re: Process for building new Networker server and historical restores?
    Davidtgnome

I'm running two implementations of Networker Server 8.2.3.1 on AIX, and Networker Server 9.1.1.5 on SUSE. So long as the old implementation is only being used for restores, it simply doesn't need licencing.

In the event of a disaster, EMC lets you bootstrap recover your backup server, and begin restores before you need licencing from EMC for the new hardware. The tricky part is the transition period, however when I was switching environments I discovered as mentioned above that new implementations come with a 90 day eval license, so you do have 90 days to make your gradual migration.

Now, the reason I'm still running 8.2.3.1 for restores is because you SHOULD be able to scan existing volumes and index them and have it pull the correct expire times from the metadata, however I tried twice and that was not the case, it was giving scanned savesets and expire date 30 days from the date I scanned the volume. This behavior is incorrect but 6 months of a support case couldn't figure out why it was happening. This may have been fixed since I last tried it, which would have been about a year ago on 9.0.1.8.

• 4. Re: Process for building new Networker server and historical restores?
    xenzor

Great, thanks David. This is really helpful information and almost exactly the information I was after!

Appreciate the reply.