7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2014 11:34 AM by dynamox RSS

CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

Hi, everyone. I've read a number of related posts here and around the web about my issue, but I'm not entirely clear on what step I may be missing because the solutions provided vary and none seem to work for me.

The basic problem is that I'm trying to copy LUNs from a CX500 to a VNX5300 using SAN Copy. SAN Copy is enabled on teh VNX, it is not enabled on the CX. My process was pretty simple:

1. Zone SP-X on CX500 to SP-Y on VNX5300

2. Update SAN Copy Connections on both

At this point, the CX500 can see the VNX5300. However, if I attempt a pull from the VNX5300:

1. SAN Copy Wizard on the VNX5300

2. Initiate a FULL copy

3. Enter the unique id of a test LUN created on the CX500 (both unassigned and in a test storage group) - it comes up as Unknown with unknown size

4. Choose a test lun on the VNX as the destination (both unassigned and in a test storage group)

5. Finish and start the copy

At this point, the VNX fails and says that it cannot find the source LUN.

Problem 1: I've been told by one field tech that the lack of SAN Copy on the CX is my problem, yet I've seen customers post that SAN Copy is not necessary on both devices and that I should be able to do a pull copy from the VNX. Is SAN Copy Enabler required on both devices or should a pull work even without SAN Copy enabled on the CX (in which case I need to go back to troubleshooting my methodology)?

Problem 2: If the lack of SAN Copy on the CX is the issue, I've also seen it suggested both in the EMC white paper on migrating from a CX to a VNX and by other customers that SAN Copy Enabler for the CX series is available for free to VNX customers. However, a tech in EMC live chat said it is not and I cannot locate it through Powerlink. Which is true? is it free or do I need to buy it?

Thanks a lot for any assistance!

• 1. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

If you are doing a SANCopy/Full Copy Pull, you do not need the enabler on the source.

Make sure that SPA of the CX500 is zoned to SPA of the VNX, SPB to SPB.  And be sure that the source and destination LUN are both owned by the same SP.

Note: Having SANCopy enabler on the source would enable a Push operation, and allow you to do Incremental pushes.

Richard J Anderson

• 2. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

Thanks for the feedback, Richard. Kn owing all that, I'll work from the assumption I've made a mistake in the configuration and go from there.

• 3. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

One thing you may need to do, if you haven’t’ already, is to mask the source LUN to the target array.  On the CX500, create a storage group and put the VNX sancopy ports and the source LUN into that storage group.  Then update SANCopy connections on both sides and try the copy.

Richard J Anderson

• 4. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

CX is not at all your problem. In case of SAN Copy pull if SAN Copy Enabler is enabled on the VNX 5300 is enough.

However, request you to check the below points before the pull. I do understand from your problem description some of them is already applied but please, double check:

1. Zonning: Zonning is proper and the CLARiiONs are in the same domain and make sure you are able to see any LUN.

2. VNX has the Enabler, so session must be created from the VNX.

3. LUN can't be RLP or WIL.

4. Both the LUNs should be owned by the same SP's that are zoned to each other.

You may refer to EMC SAN Copy for EMC Navisphere Administrators’s guide to verify SAN Copy Configuration Guidelines and Setting up SAN Copy.

You may refer to :https://elabnavigator.emc.com/vault/pdf/EMC_SAN_Copy.pdf for EMC SAN Copy Support Matrix.

If you are still facing an issue, I would request you to open a Service Request with VNX Group.

PS: Sorry, did not refresh the page before posting....din't know it was already answered.

• 5. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy
    Christopher Imes

A few comments I'd like to contribute; firstly:

1) Do you have MirrorView running on the arrays?  If so, you can not use the MirrorView ports also for SAN Copy.

a) On the VNX it is now the lowest numbered logical FC (and iSCIS) port FC and since you own a VNX5300 which uses the DPE architecture, it would be the On-Board port 2 (logical port 0) on both SPA and SPB.  You can also see this in Unisphere by navigating to the following breadcrumb trail if you have the MirrorView enabler loaded:

Settings -> Network -> Settings for Block

b) On the CX500, it is a little trickier as we didn't introduce an easy reference until later code revisions, and it doesn't matter if you view the CX500 from within Unisphere either via the Unisphere Client or by consolidating the CX500 and VNX5300 via domain membership.  From the "White Paper: MirrorView Knowledgebook: Releases 30 – 31.5 — A Detailed Review" available from PowerLink (or the Pocket Reference Guide if you are a partner that has access to the Procedure Generator), it should be port logical "1":

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > MirrorView > White Papers

The rule-of-thumb up to and including the CX4, is that the assigned MirrorView port is the highest number port from the factory (not factoring in any later expansion).  With the CX4, you also will have the same "MirrorView" label show up besides the port for easy reference (along with a differing icon from the other ports).

2) Are your zones single initiator and single target (and NOT single initiator and multiple targets)?

For instance, per best practice, you should have:

a) SPA (VNX) -> SPA (CX)

b) SPA (VNX) -> SPB (CX)

c) SPB (VNX) -> SPA (CX)

d) SPB (VNX) -> SPB (CX)

and NOT

a) SPA (VNX) -> SPA and SPB (CX)

b) SPB (VNX) -> SPA and SPB (CX)

This includes the zones you create for SAN Copy and also the zones you have in place for your hosts.  For instance, if for your hosts you have them zoned as follows:

a) HBA0 -> SPA and SPB (CX)

b) HBA1 -> SPA and SPB (CX)

This is presenting the same visibility in regards to the SP ports as described above.  I will mention, not officially, that people have been able to successfully migrate data while keeping their host zones intact (and not recreating them per best practice effectively doubling the number they had originally), but again, we do suggest this as you would not want to provide a path to SPA and SPB on the same array.  Remember SP ports double as both a target and an initiator and issue only comes-to-light when setting up SAN Copy.  Furthermore, you will be reminded of this via an event that "SAN Copy zoning is incorrect".

3) Depending on the version of VNX OE running on the VNX 5300, consider consolidating the arrays via domain membership.

a) This may simplify things as you would have visibility to both arrays and LUNs as ALU references (and not having to enter the 128-bit WWN of the LUN) as you step through the SAN Copy Wizard.

b) This is only a recommendation (assuming proper VNX OE code), and not required of course.

You can view the reference paper "White Paper: Domain Management with EMC Unisphere for VNX" available on PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > VNX Series > White Papers

What I'd also like to mention and what may assist with the troubleshooting is to think of the designated SAN Copy host (VNX in your scenario) as a typical host seeing storage from the peer array (CX500).  Using this analogy may help understand the procedure/requirements a bit better instead of simply stepping through guides.

In your situation, you have chosen to do a PULL/Full Copy; therefore:

VNX5300 = SAN Copy Host (only array required to have SAN Copy Enabler)

CX500 = peer array (that have the storage you want to present to the "host"/VNX5300)

NOTE: If you instead chose to do a PUSH/Incremental, you could still follow along but would reverse the relationship and requirements

1) Zone the SAN Copy host VNX 5300 just as you would a typical (Windows) server:

a) Designated SP ports on the VNX 5300 will act as the host-initiators (or "HBA's")

b) Using the designated SP ports on the VNX 5300 (or "HBA's"), zone them to the designated ports on the CX500 (as a reminder, they can't be active MirrorView ports):

SPA (VNX "HBA0") -> SPA (CX)

SPA (VNX "HBA0") -> SPB (CX)

SPB (VNX "HBA1") -> SPA (CX)

SPB (VNX "HBA1") -> SPB (CX)

SAN Copy will trespass LUNs as necessary and the paths above will assure that the SAN Copy sessions will maintain visibility to the LUNs.  Otherwise, you would need make sure at all times that the source and destination LUNs are assigned to the same owner if you only have a path from A -> A and B -> B.  A trespass of Source or Destination would cause the sessions to fail.  Unlike MirrorView, it will not automatically trespass the pair so they are both on the same SP if, for instance, a trespass occurs on the source LUN.

2) Register SAN Copy connections

a) Just as you would install Navisphere Agent/manually register initiator records and also rescan HBA's on a typical (Windows) server, think of "Update SAN Copy Connections" as the same.

NOTE: Having said that, it is only strictly required on the VNX in your situation and not necessary on both as has been suggested multiple times.  Think about also how we support third party arrays.  You only have "Update SAN Copy Connections" on the SAN Copy host (VNX).  Right?  However, it is simply unnecessary but won't harm anything and is simply redunadnt.

c) In "Connectivity Status" on the CX500 then verify that the connections registered just as you would look for your (Windows) host to have properly logged-in and registered

3) Create storage group on the CX500

a) Again, it helps to think of the VNX in your situation as a typical (Windows) host that you are presenting storage to (from the CX500)

b) Add SAN Copy connections from the VNX to the storage group on the CX500 (just as you would add the registered Windows host to the storage group that you are presenting storage to)

c) Assign the LUNs to the storage group on the CX500 (as a reminder, LUNs can exist in multiple storage groups)

• 6. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

Hi All, I too had the same issue for FULL copy. Sancopy between Cx3-20 to VNX 5400. I tried pull method from VNX interface. it complained saying the source volume is inaccessible. edited.jpg

This had only zones between Sp-A port 0 of cx to Sp-B port 0 of VNX and Sp-B port 0 of cx to Sp-A port 0 of VNX . I had the storagegroup created in the cx array and also source  luns added to that. Also the VNX ports were added to this group. I also did update connections and also the connections test succeeded. But the create session failed.

Since enabler was installed on both arrays, I tried push method from the CX3-20 interface. I deleted the sancopy storagegroup on cx and created one in VNX with the destination luns and cx ports. And the session got created successfully. so, it looks like zoning rules are only for VNX and CX only just checks if it is able to see the target array and does not check the SP owner of the luns I beileve.

• 7. Re: CX500 to VNX5300 via SAN Copy

i assume you want to continue with SANCopy push from CX to VNX. Make sure each SP is zoned to SPA and SPB on VNX, for example:

Fabric A:

Fabric B: