There are advantages to using DD as the archive target for SourceOne.
Answers to the questions:
Are the S1 archives already compressed?
SourceOne Email Management will single instance messages as they are placed into the archive. There will be approximately a 2:1 compression on the email that are placed into the archive.
Will there be more deduplication done by the DD to the archives to the extent that it would make putting the archives on the DD beneficial?
With SourceOne Email Management you have the ability to store the message and attachment separately. By doing this, the attachments can be further de-duplicated on the DD device.
A couple use cases that might help explain the value:
Use Case 1:
- The DD is used as a backup target and an archive target to SourceOne.
- The admin had chosen to separete the attachment from the message during the archive process.
- MyPreso.ppt was backed up to the DD
- An end user emails MyPreso.ppt to 5 other people
- SourceOne captures the email and places it into the archive. The DD will recognize that MyPreso.ppt already resides on the device from the backup and will not store the entire file again.
As you can see, there is a potential for large storage savings.
Use Case 2:
- The admin had chosen to separete the attachment from the message during the archive process
- The DD is used as an archive target to SourceOne.
- MyPreso.ppt was emailed to 5 people
- After the first copy of MyPreso.ppt is archived to the DD, the DD will recognize that MyPreso.ppt already resides on the device and will not store the entire file again.