5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2015 4:20 AM by mbresnahan RSS

Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device

VirtualGuy

Hello.  I have a new VMAX3 my first in the VMAX series and need to expand a Boot-from-SAN TDEV.  Since VMAX3 does not have the expansion function till Q3/2015 I need to find a way to do this.

I figured I would use Timefinder/SnapVX copy/clone capabilities but am having trouble with the syntax.

Here is what I have

Storage group TEST01_SG with 3 TDEVs  00054,00055, and 00079. I only need to expand 00054.  All the documentation I find is to snap a group but I just want to do the one device.

Do I need to remove 00054 from TEST01_SG and add it to its own storage group to do this?  Please let me know if there is a different way I can get this done.

My syntax looks like this

symsnapvx -sid xxx -sg TEST_SG establish -name test01_snap

This snaps the entire SG

Thanks in advance for the help

My Timefinder training starts Sep 11 but I need to get this done befor then.

• 1. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    mbresnahan

Hi,

Instead of –sg I would suggest using the –devs modified.  So it would look something like this:

symsnapvx -sid xxx –devs 54 establish -name test01_snap

When you want to link to a larger target, you specify the target device with –lndevs.  And since you are migrating, please do not forget to use –copy with your link command.

Another option would be to use a device file with symclone.  But you would need to edit the options file to allow clone to larger target (it’s allowed by default with SnapVX).

Let me know if this helps.

Mike

• 2. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    VirtualGuy

This is great  I will give it a try.

How can I tell when the copy is complete?

• 3. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    mbresnahan

BTW I should mention that you can use device files with SnapVX as well, but personally I like -devs better.  The format of the device file will be different for establishing snapshots (source device) and linking targets (source and target pair).  The -devs and -lndevs options let you specify right in the command line.

• 4. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    mbresnahan

Just to be clear, you check for copy after linking the target in copy mode, not after creating the snapshot.  I believe the command would be:

symsnapvx -sid xxx -devs 54 -snapshot_name test01_snap -linked -detail

Let me know if that works!

• 5. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    majialiangzi

The syntax is incorrect on my environment SMIS provider is 8.0.2

lxh3ser8:~ # symsnapvx -sid 162 –devs 5ce  -name test01_snap

'–devs': Invalid action.

lxh3ser8:~ # symsnapvx -sid 162 -devs 5ce -snapshot_name test01_snap -linked -detail

Missing action.

• 6. Re: Use timefinder snapVX to copy a device
    mbresnahan

You are missing actions in both commands.  I can't say for sure what you are trying to do.

But since the first command uses -name, I assume you are trying to create a snapshot, and are missing the "establish" action, but that is just a guess.

Second command, again a guess from the other parameters, you are missing "list" action.

But I do not see where you linked anything before trying to establish and the list -linked, so I could be wrong.  If you can explain what you are trying to do in each step I can help more.