5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 10:29 AM by JunFan RSS

Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help

SSRR

Hi,

Due to some migration requirement we need to restore back all the Email Archived data back to user's mail files. The environment details are:

1) Only attachments have been archived for the users

2) Stubs are associated with the Mail Files

3) Around 1200+ users are there in the environment.

4) Lotus Domino is being used for messaging

5) Mailxtender is in 4.8.1.* version & only one server is available in place.

6) Overall size of the Archived data is 3 TB (compressed)

I would like to know is it possible to restore back all the archived data to user's mail files. If yes,

Technicall what are all the components required to do this activity.

Can this being done on batch by batch mode (10 users per day).

For 1200 users approximately how much days or months it will take the restore the archived data back to mail file.

I am totally new to Mailxtender. Please help me here.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help
    Rajan Katwal

Greetings,

There are two things you need to decide:

1.       Are you only after the emails that are stubbed in user mailboxes ?

2.       Are you also after emails that are not present in users mailboxes but archived in the EX archive ?

For the first statement above, all you need to do is create EmailXtract Shortcut Restore job on EmailXtender server. This will restore all the shortcuts back to the users mailboxes. For more information on how to configure jobs you can download EmailXtender Admin guide from powerlink.emc.com website.

For the second statement, if you want those emails back from EX Archive EmailXtender comes with the Search Plug-in that you can use to export emails to NSF files.

I am not sure what kind of migration you are planning but if it is to do with Notes to Exchange you might want to talk to your account team in EMC to discuss your environment with the consulting team. EMC SourceOne is the next generation software available and it could work with Exchange and Notes at the same time. It can also provide you emails with conversion from archive. As I said, it might be worthwhile to talk to consulting team.

Thanks,

Rajan

• 2. Re: Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help
    SSRR

Hi Rajan,

First of all, Thanks for your time and reply!!

As i said i dont have much knowledge about the client environment or about the Mailxtender. I was told by the client that if you unarchive the data then the stub associated with the mail file will get deleted. Which means i believe the archived data is based on scenario  # 1.

Any help from your side based on this clarification will help me immensely.

• 3. Re: Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help
    Rajan Katwal

Greetings,

Since you are new to the EmailXtender/SourceOne here is a small run down on how it would work:

1.       In notes environment you can use Lotus notes journaling or install journaling library from EmailXtender/SourceOne to journal messages. What this library does is, it has hooks on to the mail.box on the domino servers. Every time a mail touches mail(x).box on domino its copy will be preserved in ExJournal(x).nsf files. This is called real time journaling.

2.       Now messages are pulled from ExJournal(x) databases and archived by EX/SourceOne. During this process single instancing of the messages takes place.

3.       Customers can run shortcut activities to create shortcuts in user mailboxes. This process creates stubs in user mailboxes which are pointing to full messages/attachments in EX/SourceOne archive. This helps in claiming back space on the Domino servers. When the weekly compression jobs will run DB’s will be compressed resulting in giving back space created by stubbing.

4.       Emails that are deleted by users from mailbox could be still retrieved from EX/SourceOne because it preserved the original message for compliance purposes. Users can search for their emails and admin/compliance officers can search for all emails they have access to.

5.       If email stubs needs to be restored back to the users mailbox due to any reason e.g. a user is moving from Australia office to UK office, this can be done by EmailXtract Shortcut restore task or SourceOne Historical Shortcut restore activities. This process converts back stubs to full emails from archive. Please remember that it will only convert the stubs. It do not add back deleted items. You also need to make sure user has enough disk space and quota allowed on the domino side to expand DB because something that was few KB’s would end up few MB’s (depending on what was attached to mail message).

In EmailXtender you can run Shortcut Restore task in simulation mode which will show you what it is going to do and how much  data it is going to restore back. This will allow you to plan ahead. In case you are stuck with the configuration of these jobs please open support ticket with EMC EmailXtender/SourceOne support team and they will help you after checking your requirements. If you haven’t used the product before EMC Support will be the best resource to engage. You can open support ticket from powerlink.emc.com site or by calling dispatch line using one of the phone numbers provided in this link http://www.emc.com/collateral/contact-us/h4165-csc-phonelist-ho.pdf .

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rajan

• 4. Re: Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help
    Rajan Katwal

Technicall what are all the components required to do this activity.

RAJAN: EmailXtract Shortcut Job is the one you want to use to restore back shortcut stubs. Its under Start > All Programs > LEGATO EmailXtract

Can this being done on batch by batch mode (10 users per day).

RAJAN: Yes, you can pick user(s) or groups as you like.

For 1200 users approximately how much days or months it will take the restore the archived data back to mail file.

RAJAN: It depends on how you run the restore jobs and how much mail is in question.

• 5. Re: Restoring back the Data to Mail Files - Please Help
    JunFan

So how did this go? Were you able to complete and if so how long did it take?