|Article Number: 540734||Article Version: 3||Article Type: How To|
Avamar,Avamar Server,Avamar Virtual Edition
- SSH to the AVE is not possible due to lost OS passwords.
- In ADS systems, we use to send a CE onsite to reboot the system in rescue mode (KB 335035 for Gen4S and KB 503603 for Gen4T). However, this is an AVE and there is no physical hardware.
- Try to confirm in Avalanche or with the customer when the latest validated checkpoint was taken. A reboot will be required and the GSAN might be uncleanly shutdown while rebooting so we had better ensure that a recent validated checkpoint is performed since we might need to rollback.
- After that, please connect to the vCenter and open a VM console to the AVE : VM > Power options > Restart as a guest.
- While rebooting, please hit "ESC" button in order to jump into the boot loader as we would need to boot the system as single user mode.
- As soon as you are in the boot loader, please type: init=/bin/sh on the Boot Options and press Return
- The system will reboot and you will get the prompt in order to change the admin / root password:
- Afterwards, you will be able to open a putty session to the AVE using the new admin / root passwords.