WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcpsf failed  /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcpsf: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "misc/scsi drv/emcp"

Article Number:     539566                                   Article Version: 2     Article Type:    Break Fix 

Product:

PowerPath for Solaris

Issue:

Environment :    
    DELL EMC VW : PowerPath 6.0 P03 HF01 for Solaris   
            Solaris 11.4   

Upon reboot, the following messages are logged :   

1st time :   
    Jan 21 18:33:54 hostname PowerPath: MPAPI: Error: I/o error.       
        Jan 21 18:33:54 hostname PowerPath: MPAPI: Error: Internal error occured.       
        Jan 21 18:33:54 hostname last message repeated 1 time       
        Jan 21 18:33:54 hostname PowerPath: MPAPI: Error: I/o error.       
        Jan 21 18:33:56 hostname last message repeated 33 times       
        Jan 21 18:33:56 hostname PPME: API: Error: Failed to set IO cloning control flags: EmcpStatus_Drv_Err=-3, errCode=0x8100       
        Jan 21 18:33:56 hostname PPME: API: Error: Critical error occurred during device fault transitions at startup: PPME_PP error(0x8100): No such extension.       
        Jan 21 18:33:57 hostname PowerPath: MPAPI: Error: I/o error.       
        Jan 21 18:34:21 hostname su: 'su root' succeeded for root on /dev/pts/1       
        Jan 21 18:34:33 hostname PowerPath: MPAPI: Error: I/o error.       
        Jan 21 18:35:26 hostname last message repeated 14 times       
        Jan 21 18:35:28 hostname reboot: initiated by root on /dev/pts/1

Next reboots :   
    WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcpsf failed       
        /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcpsf: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "misc/scsi drv/emcp"       
        WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcp failed       
        /kernel/drv/sparcv9/emcp: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "misc/scsi"       
        WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpgpx failed       
        /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpgpx: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "drv/emcp"       
        WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpmpx failed       
        /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpmpx: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "drv/emcp drv/emcpsf"       
        WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpdm failed       
        /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpdm: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "drv/emcp misc/emcpgpx"       
        WARNING: Signature verification of module /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpioc failed       
        /kernel/misc/sparcv9/emcpioc: use of symbol '_depends_on[]' is deprecated: "drv/emcp"

Cause:

During a fresh installation of PowerPath few error messages will be logged in the /var/adm/messages which can be ignored.   
    - The MPAPI I/o error, PPME_PowerPath error(0x8100) errors will appear only during fresh installation of PowerPath, where PowerPath modules are not present already   
    - the "signature verification of modules ... failed" warning messages will appear across the subsequent reboots after the installation of PowerPath.   

Resolution:

These error messages and warnings are safe to ignore and PowerPath Engineering is in discussion with Oracle for a resolution. these errors are documented in the Readme file which normally comes with PowerPath 6.0 P03 HF 01 for Solaris (also attached to this KB)