How to enable "copy to hot spare"

Product:

EMC Firmware: FLARE Release 24 and later

Description:

Using proactive hot spare for proactive disk replacement

Resolution:

Starting with FLARE Release 24, you can now use a proactive hot spare for proactive disk replacement. Before Release 24 you had to remove the physical disk to replace in order to force a rebuild. During the rebuild phase, the RAID group was "degraded" and at risk

How does a copy to hot spare work?

1. The first step is a physical copy of all the data from the drive you want to replace to an idle hot spare. During this phase, the array is showing a transitioning status.
  2. Once all the data has been copied, the drive you want to replace is powered down. The array now shows a faulted status.
  3. After you have replaced the drive, a normal equalization process does start. The content of the proactive spare is copied back to the replacement drive. The array now shows a transitioning status.
  4. When the equalization process is completed, the hot spare is again in an idle state.

How can I initiate a copy to hot spare?

1. From the GUI, simply right-click the physical disk drive that you want to replace and select "Copy to hot spare."
  2. From naviseccli, run the copytohotspare command:

C:\Temp>naviseccli -h (SP IP address) -user emc -password emc -scope 0 copytohotspare 1_0_7 -initiate

Where 1_0_7 is the drive that you want to proactively replace.

How can I verify the progress of my copy to hot spare?

1. From the GUI, right-click your array and select "Disk summary."
  2. From the CLI, run the following command :

C:\Temp>naviseccli -h 10.64.123.456 -user emc -password emc -scope 0 getdisk 0_0_5 -state -rb

Bus 1 Enclosure 0  Disk 7
        State:                   Copying to Hot Spare(6) -> 6 is the percentage completed for the physical disk.
        Prct Rebuilt:            0: 7 1: 0 11: 0 12: 0     ->7% completed for lun0, 0% completed for LUNs 1, 11 and 12

Only disks that have user LUNs can be "Proactive Hot Spare" candidates. Disks that are unbound cannot be copied to "Hot Spare" and this feature is grayed out in Navisphere. Vault disks are not Proactive Copy candidates if no user LUNs are bound on them.

How can I initiate a copy to hot spare?

1. From the GUI, simply right-click the physical disk drive that you want to replace and select "Copy to hot spare."

2. From naviseccli, run the copytohotspare command:

C:\Temp>naviseccli -h <SP IP address> -user emc -password emc -scope 0 copytohotspare 1_0_7 -initiate

Where 1_0_7 is the drive that you want to proactively replace.

How can I verify the progress of my copy to hot spare?

1. From the GUI, right-click your array and select "Disk summary."

2. From the CLI, run the following command :

C:\Temp>naviseccli -h 10.64.123.456 -user emc -password emc -scope 0 getdisk 0_0_5 -state -rb

Bus 1 Enclosure 0  Disk 7
    State:                   Copying to Hot Spare(6) ->
    6 is the percentage completed for the physical disk.
    Prct Rebuilt:            0: 7 1: 0 11: 0 12: 0     ->7% completed for lun0, 0% completed for LUNs 1, 11 and 12

Only disks that have user LUNs can be "Proactive Hot Spare" candidates. Disks that are unbound cannot be copied to "Hot Spare" and this feature is dimmed (grayed out) in Navisphere. Vault disks are not Proactive Copy candidates if no user LUNs are bound on them.