How do I Reset and Drain Power of my Dell PowerEdge Server?

Article Number:     529280                                   Article Version: 2     Article Type:    How To 

Product:

VxRack SDDC 14G-1

Instructions:

How do I Reset and Drain Power of my Dell PowerEdge Server?   

When facing an hardware issue, the first thing to try is to reset the server in order to restart them. This article explains the difference between a restart, reset and a hard reset.   

Enterprise components are designed to remain powered on 24 x 7 but when you face an issue, a reset of your device can make things work. There are 3 levels of reset:   

•                 

Restart: Use the normal procedure to restart your device.       

•      
  •                 

Reset: If the device is not responding to any command, press the power button for 10 seconds. Power will be cut, and device will restart.       

•      
  •                 

Hard Reset: As some components still powered and don't reboot when you reset (for example the iDRAC), it is advised to perform a hard reset if the 2 above procedure aren't solving the issue or if some components are not responding. To proceed, remove all cables from power source and press 5 seconds on the "Power On" button. This action drains power and components will do a complete restart.       

•    

Notes:

Reference: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305244/how-do-i-reset-and-drain-power-of-my-dell-poweredge-server-?lang=en