| Article Number: 530444 || Article Version: 3 || Article Type: How To |
XMS and Cluster are upgraded separately
Below is the sequence with timing and potential impact:
- Remote Proactive Services will perform pre-upgrade health checks for the array and will make sure the array is healthy for an upgrade (20-40* minutes); this is usually done just before starting the upgrade. (Please note: Pre-Upgrade health checks are also performed during the scheduling phase (up to 2 weeks before the upgrade) )
- Remote Proactive Services engineer will make sure all the tools and codes are available (10-20* minutes if the upgrade is done over WebEx or up to 6* hours if Remote Proactive Services will transfer the code over ESRS, also done days prior to the upgrade to ensure actual upgrade starts on scheduled time)
- Before starting the upgrade, Remote Proactive Services engineer will reach out for the point of contact (Customer/CE), provide an update about pre-health checks findings and get permission to start upgrade (if required)
- Obtain cluster name/cluster index.
- Verify the cluster health.
- Check system health.
- Confirm infrastructure redundancy.
- Download/verify the upgrade package.
- Download cluster log-bundle. (if not downloaded during the Tech Consultation activity)
- Disable Email/SYR notifications.
- Check XMS version.
- Verify cluster alerts.
XMS Upgrade: Time in total: 20 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the array load), XMS upgrade doesn't have any impact to the operations.
Total Time (XMS+Cluster) of the upgrade varies depending on how many bricks the cluster is, as follows:
- 1 X-Brick: 2 hrs
- 2 X-Brick 2.5 hrs
- 4 X-Brick 4 hrs
- 6 X-Brick 5.5 hrs
- 8 X-Brick 8 hrs
- Verify the cluster health
- Check I/O distribution across target ports
- Enable Email/SYR Notifications
- XtremIO upgrades are non-disruptive.
- There is NO Rollback plan for XtremIO upgrades, if there is any issue encountered during the upgrade RPS Upgrade engineers escalate directly to Support to get the issues fixed and continue with the upgrade