I'm looking to run a DR of a NetWorker server in order to do a test for a customer whose asking for it, but the main server is still in production and working, so i need to run the DR on an entirely other server, virtual in this case.
Windows 2012 R2
NetWorker 18.104.22.168 Built 204
Data Domain for backups destination and replication
From documentation, it seem to be possible, but they're listing the following:
Although the objective is the same as for the basic disaster recover to the same host, in this situation:
- The NetWorker Server hardware is likely to be different and its connectivity and
configuration might be different from the original. --> OK IP
- Simply restoring the bootstrap and client indexes might not be as quick or as easy
to perform. --> In DDBOOST device (Storage Unit won't be the same)
- Additional changes to the configuration might also be required before the backup
and recovery service is available. Like what ?
- Immediate access to the original recovery media and the devices cannot be
assumed. --> Storage Unit won't be the same, how to bypass this problem
- The environment is likely to be different so that the SAN, IP, and storage units
might not match the original server. --> Confirmed, if NetWorker server name changes, the SU will be different.
- Additional steps might be required to make the NetWorker Server available. --> Like what ?
- The availability of adequate bootstrap and index backups is required, but these
might be copies of the original save sets. --> OK
- Additional steps might be required to access the save set backups. --> Like what ?
In this situation, how can the data become accessible, since the SU will be different, based on name of the new NetWorker server ? Could we clone the mtree holding the data and attach it to the new SU ?
If someone has an idea, it could be helpful in this situation. Customer only want this for a test and will release the server once the test had been done.