XtremIO: Mapping a volume to a RecoverPoint initiator group using admin credentials via the WebUI interface fails with "ig_tg_l_already_in_use" or "unauthorized_user" error

Article Number:     532335                                   Article Version: 3     Article Type:    Break Fix 

Product:

XtremIO Family,XtremIO X1,XtremIO X2,XtremIO HW Gen2 400GB,XtremIO HW Gen2 400GB Encrypt Capbl,XtremIO HW Gen2 400GB Encrypt Disable,XtremIO HW Gen2 400GB Exp Encrypt Disable,XtremIO HW Gen2 400GB Expandable,XtremIO HW Gen2 800GB Encrypt Capbl

Issue:

Attempting to map a volume to a RecoverPoint initiator group that was automatically created by a RecoverPoint cluster using admin credentials via the WebUI interface fails with the following error:   

•         ig_tg_l_already_in_use on XMS servers running software versions earlier than 6.2.1-36     
  •      
  •         unauthorized_user on XMS servers running software versions 6.2.1-36 and above     
  •    
Note: If the above errors are encountered when attempting to perform the aforementioned operation (i.e. mapping a volume) on the exact same object (i.e. a RecoverPoint initiator group that was automatically created by a RecoverPoint cluster) using the exact same user credentials (i.e. admin) and interface (i.e. WebUI) as mentioned above, then proceed with reading through the remainder of this article. If not, then this article should not be considered as being relevant to the reported issue. In the latter case, contact a member of the XtremIO Global Technical Support team for assistance by creating a Service Request (SR) for the reported issue. When contacting XtremIO Global Technical Support for assistance, ensure that you have a fresh XtremIO log bundle (dossier) available for attachment to the Service Request (SR) to expedite the review process. To collect an XtremIO log bundle, follow the instructions in KB 334928 - How to collect XtremIO log bundle for analysis by EMC Global Technical Support                                                           

Cause:

Mapping a volume to a RecoverPoint initiator group that was automatically created by a RecoverPoint cluster using admin credentials via the WebUI interface is not a supported operation.                                                            

Resolution:

Mapping a volume to a RecoverPoint initiator group that was automatically created by a RecoverPoint cluster should be done using rp_user credentials via the WebUI interface.   

For XMS servers running software versions earlier than 6.2.1-36, one of the following workarounds can be considered:   

•         ​​​​Perform the mapping operation using admin or rp_user credentials via the XMCLI interface.     
  •      
  •         Set the value of the LUN field to auto (as illustrated within the below image) by removing the integer value that is auto-populated within that field while performing the mapping operation using admin credentials via the WebUI interface.     
  •    

User-added image   

Notes:

It is recommended that all operations relating to RecoverPoint objects (i.e. initiator groups, consistency groups and volumes) be performed using rp_user credentials.