|Article Number: 528965||Article Version: 3||Article Type: Break Fix|
PowerPath for Windows,PowerPath Migration Enabler for Windows
In Micrrosoft Failover Cluster environment, from the moment PPME handle is setup RHS (Resource Host System) errors start streaming on the non-migration cluster nodes.
Microsoft Windows Failover Cluster 2008/2012/2016
Dell EMC PowerPath Migration Enabler 6.3
### System Event Log
12/13/2018 09:01:54 PM Critical NODE2 1146 Microsoft-Windows-FailoverCluste The cluster resource host subsystem (RHS) stopped unexpectedly. An attempt will be made to restart it. This is usually due to a problem in a resource DLL. Please determine which resource DLL is causing the issue and report the problem to the resource vendor.
### Application Event Log
12/13/2018 09:01:51 PM Information NODE2 1001 Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: rhs.exe P2: 6.1.7601.17514 P3: 4ce79820 P4: CLUSAPI.dll P5: 6.1.7601.17514 P6: 4ce7c571 P7: c0000005 P8: 000000000002411b P9: P10: Attached files: These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_rhs.exe_7e115541760b52f2add606f23df387a2edb42b_1c0ea41b Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 2a4eac23-ff01-11e8-ab0c-00215e98b046 Report Status: 4
This issue is due to PowerPath piece of code that violates one of the Microsoft Cluster API validations, leading to unload and reload of PowerPath Cluster resource dll from Resource Hosting Subsystem (RHS) process.
PowerPath Migration Enabler powermig setup command is issued.
The fix will be included in Power Path Migration Enabler 6.4 to be released in Q1 2019 (tentatively February).
1.Cleanup all the existing migration handles. If normal cleanup operation or none of the PPME commands help then perform the manual cleanup of PPME DB as per KB500749.
2. Open a Dell EMC Service Request to request/obtain a private fix.
3. Rename the existing 'ppme.dll' file to 'ppme_orig.dll' under 'C:\Windows\Cluster' on all the nodes of the cluster.
4. Copy the provided 'ppme.dll' to 'C:\Windows\Cluster' on all the nodes of the cluster.
5. Setup one migration handle and with the newly generated handle in the 'setup' state.
6. Collect 'EMCReports' from all the cluster nodes.
- The issue only applies to PowerPath Migration Enabler 6.3 version. The previous PowerPath versions are not applicable.
- The RHS errors are NOT logged on the node where PPME command is issued. The RHS errors are logged on the non-migrating nodes.