| Article Number: 524719 || Article Version: 4 || Article Type: Break Fix |
VxRack SDDC,VxRail Appliance Family,VxRack Flex Series
The root password is wrong and can't be discovered.
This process requires the ability to use Host Profiles in Vcenter which requires an enterprise license.
- To start we will need to extract a host profile for our host.
- Connect to the vSphere web client.
- Go to the home page
- click Host profiles, and then click the plus sign (+) to extract a profile from a host.
- Select a host to work with (it doesn't have to be the one you want to change the password for) and click next.
- Give your host profile a name and click next and then finish:
- The newly created host profile will take about a minute to show up since it needs to be built. Once it is created click host name in in the middle pane. This will bring up host profile in the middle pane:
- Click the configure tab in the middle pane. The following image has the profile tree expanded, but you just need to click the "Edit Host Profile" button.
- Click next to get to the Edit Host Profile screen. Clear ALL CHECKMARKS except the ones for User Configuration and root. In the Password section on the right under user select "Fixed Password Configuration" from the drop down list. Set the password to what you want and click finish.
- Select the host profile, and then select from the Actions drop down menu: Attach/Detach Hosts and Clusters. You will be presented with this next screen. Select the host you want to change the root password for and click attach to sent that host to the right side host attached column.
- Click next and finish.
- Next we need to check compliance for this host profile. Click the check compliance button in the center pane. A task will be cut. Wait until if finishes successfully.
- Now we are ready to remediate our host. This will change the password! Click the remediate option in the action drop down menu.
- Another task will be cut to remediate the host profile which will set your password to the value you specified.
- You are done!
This process will work on an esxi image based system including, VxRack Flex, VxRail, stand alone esxi images, etc.
NOTE for VxRack SDDC customers. The password on any esxi host should always match what is in the output from lookup-passwords command. Password rotation is managed by SDDC so if the password does not match the value in lookup-passwords it needs to be set to that value.