| Article Number: 495254 || Article Version: 3 || Article Type: Break Fix |
The Task and Events tab of the VMware ESXi host on the vSphere Client reports the following error under Events:
Lost path redundancy to storage device DeviceName. Path vmhbaN:Cx:Ty:Lz is down. Affected datastores: DatastoreName
This indicates a single point of failure and potential performance impact in the virtual machines currently accessing the storage device.
In this case, there was no zoning configuration for the VMware ESXi host.
To determine the actual failure, or to eliminate possible issues:
In this particular case:
- Check the host grabs for the impacted VMware ESXi host.
- Check the storage array.
- Check the switch configuration / zoning.
The user verified that there is no zoning configuration for the ESXi host.
- No errors were found on the HBA, or the devices in the VMkernel logs.
- It was found that at the same time the error was reported, RSCN messages were sent from the switch to HBA vmhbaX indicating a change in the zoneset of the fabric, and paths were down. Then another RSCN messages were sent to vmhbaX and the paths were up again.
- Please refer to VMware Knowledge Article kb.vmware.com/kb/1009554 for the complete troubleshooting steps.
- This article apply for other Dell EMC storage arrays.
- The events were found in (localcli_storage-san-fc-events-get and hostd.log) These files can be found in the vmsupport bundle.