This collection of frequently asked questions applies to the getting started information related to EMC IsilonSD Edge.
What is IsilonSD Edge?
IsilonSD Edge is a software-defined storage solution that is deployed as a virtual instance of OneFS on a VMware ESXi host running on industry-standard hardware. IsilonSD Edge provides a software-defined storage solution with the same core functionality as Isilon OneFS, enabling remote sites to have their own on-site storage solutions.
How does IsilonSD Edge work?
IsilonSD Edge creates OneFS virtual clusters through the resources available on VMware ESXi hosts. The OneFS clusters are deployed as virtual machines (VMs) and the drives are hosted on data disks.
If I get IsilonSD Edge, will I miss out on cool new Isilon OneFS features?
IsilonSD Edge follows Isilon OneFS, so each release of IsilonSD Edge offers the same core functionality as the latest OneFS release. That functionality includes most of the OneFS software modules (such as SmartQuotas and SmartDedupe).
Note: EMC Isilon does not support the underlying hardware or the VMware virtual environment for IsilonSD.
What are the IsilonSD Edge features?
- One license per cluster to manage your storage requirements. Each license contains a cluster license and a OneFS features license.
- Supports the distribution of content from a core (central) Isilon cluster to edge or remote offices.
- Supports the deployment of the OneFS operating system on specific VMware-qualified hardware platforms that adhere to the Virtual SAN Hardware Configuration List (HCL).
- Includes most of the OneFS features. For details about the availability of the cluster features based on the type of licenses that are configured for your installation, see the version-appropriate IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide.
What features are not supported?
The availability of cluster features depends on the type of licenses that you have configured for your IsilonSD installation. For details, see the IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide for your version of IsilonSD Edge.
What are the IsilonSD Edge components?
- IsilonSD Management Server: Use the management server to register VMware vCenter servers, add licenses, select OneFS VM templates, and change the admin password. Access the management server through the stand-alone management server interface.
- IsilonSD Management Plug-in: A VMware vCenter plug-in bundled with the management server. After you deploy the management server on an ESXi host and register a VMware vCenter server, the management plug-in installs automatically. Use the management plug-in to deploy and manage IsilonSD clusters from the registered vCenter Server. Access the management plug-in through the VMware vSphere Web Client.
- OneFS virtual machine files (VMs).
See the version-appropriate of IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide for details about accessing and working with each of the IsilonSD Edge components.
What is the difference between IsilonSD Edge and Isilon OneFS Simulator?
- IsilonSD Edge is a production-ready operating system. It provides the same core features as OneFS .
- Isilon OneFS Simulator is designed for functional testing in non-production environments only. It is not supported.
What about support?
Sign up for the EMC Community Network (ECN) Isilon community, where you'll have access to discussions and resources related to all things IsilonSD Edge.
How do I get IsilonSD Edge?
Download the IsilonSD Edge binary that is available here.
What's in the download package?
The download package includes the latest versions of the IsilonSD Management Server, EMC Isilon InsightIQ, and the OneFS virtual machine file. It also includes the latest versions of the installation guides for EMC IsilonSD Edge and EMC Isilon InsightIQ.
Where can I find all the installation and administration details about EMC IsilonSD Edge?
See the version-appropriate of IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide for the relevant details. The guides can be accessed from the IsilonSD Edge - Isilon Info Hub page.