Installation Requirements: Frequently Asked Questions

Note: This topic is part of the EMC IsilonSD Edge: Frequently Asked Questions.

This collection of frequently asked questions applies to the installation requirements for EMC IsilonSD Edge.

What are the prerequisites for installing and running IsilonSD Edge?

See the version-appropriate EMC IsilonSD Edge Installation and Administration Guide for details.

Can I deploy IsilonSD Edge using any web browser?

We recommend that you use the latest version of  Mozilla Firefox to deploy the OVA templates. For the other IsilonSD cluster and node management tasks, you can use the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

Note: Some versions of the VMware vSphere Web Client Integration Plug-in do not work if you access Chrome version 42.0 and later and Mozilla Firefox version 39.0 and later. Refer to the following knowledge base articles to address the issue:

Can I run the Management Server VM on one of the ESXi hosts that I have designated for an IsilonSD cluster?

Yes. However, we recommend running the Management Server on a separate ESXi host if possible. Note that you do not need a dedicated ESXi host for either the Management Server or IsilonSD Edge VMs.

Can I share the ESXi hosts with other applications? For example, can I run other VMs on the same ESXi hosts that I used to build the IsilonSD Edge cluster?

Yes, you can run an IsilonSD Edge VM on a particular ESXi host while running other VMs (such as Windows, Linux, and so on) on the same ESXi host.

How many networks, VLANs, and subnets do I need?

You need two networks or two separate VLANs: (configured inside the port group)

• One network (port group) or VLAN for external or client communication traffic
  • One network (port group) or VLAN for internal or intra-node communication traffic.

These networks should be separate networks. You can use 1 GbE or 10 GbE, depending on your performance requirements.

Do I need internal disks on each of the ESXi hosts to be used for the data disks or can I use SAN?

• You can use either direct attached disks or SAN if you are running IsilonSD Management Server version 1.0.2 or later.
  • You can use direct attached disks if you are running IsilonSD Management Server 1.0.0 or 1.0.1. SAN is not supported.

You must meet the size and number requirements for the data disks.

Do I need to create any datastores before installing the Management Server VM or IsilonSD Edge cluster?

You can use an existing datastore or you can create at least one datastore before you install the Management Server. The installer uses the datastore to install the Management Server VM. After you install the Management Server VM, register the vCenter, and install the management plug-in within the registered vCenter, the OneFS Create Cluster option handles any other datastores that are needed.

Can I create the Management Server on an NFS datastore?

Yes. You can also use SAN-based disks for the management server.

What types of virtual machine disks (VMDKs) does IsilonSD use?

IsilonSD creates the following types of VMDKs during cluster creation:

• Journal disk
  • Boot disk
  • Data disk

What type of disk should I use for the Journal disk?

Since the Journal disk directly determines the performance of an IsilonSD cluster, we recommend using the fastest available SSDs for the Journal disk.

Can I use the same disk for both the Journal disk and the Boot disk?

Yes. In the cluster installation's disk selection section you can choose to use a disk as both Journal and Boot disk. SSD is strongly recommended.

Where will I get information on the following details?

• What is the minimum number of disks for each IsilonSD Edge VM?
  • What is the maximum supported number of data disks for each IsilonSD Edge VM?
  • What is the maximum supported number of disks for each IsilonSD Edge VM?
  • What is the minimum required free space for a Journal disk?
  • What is the minimum required free space for a Boot disk?
  • What is the minimum required free space for a data disk?
  • What is the maximum supported space for a data disk?
  • What is the minimum cluster capacity?
  • What is the maximum cluster capacity?
  • How many IsilonSD clusters can I create?
  • What is the minimum amount of RAM that I need to provide to each IsilonSD Edge VM?
  • What is the minimum number of vCPUs that I need to provide to each IsilonSD Edge VM?

See the version-appropriate EMC IsilonSD Edge Installation and Administration Guide for details.

Can I install more than one IsilonSD Edge cluster on the same set of ESXi hosts?

Yes, as long as you meet the minimum disk, CPU, and RAM criteria.

If I share the disks between application VMs and IsilonSD VMs, will there be any performance impact?

The impact depends on the I/O load of the application VMs.

Can I increase the node capacity?

You cannot increase the size of the data disk and also cannot add more data disks to a node.