VMAX & Openstack Ocata: An Inside Look

Hi There!

Welcome to the first in a series of blog posts aimed at giving you the full picture when it comes to using DellEMC's VMAX with Openstack! My name is Michael, my job in Dell EMC is as a developer on the team responsible for the VMAX Openstack drivers.

This set of blog pieces (guides) are going to be created with the Openstack Ocata release in mind, but as new releases come out and extra insights are needed then the scope may change if necessary in the future. For the most up-to-date information I would recommend keeping an eye on our official documentation on the Openstack website, I will make sure any changes from the main documentation are reflected in these blog pieces, but better to sure when it comes to your production VMAX & Openstack environment! If there is anything that is not covered in the guides below, or any additions, removals, or changes need to be made, just send me a message and I will see what I can do to help!

These guides will be written in what I perceive to be a logical progression of VMAX & Openstack functionality, starting with setup & installation, and finishing with troubleshooting, with all functionality covered in between. I will link them all from here, so they are all easily accessible from the same place and to make sure the most recent iterations are always included.

I will be using a VMAX All-Flash as my storage array of choice for these instructional guides, but where options vary depending on the VMAX type used, I will list the alternatives and any additional steps which may be required. The same can be said for the OS on which Openstack is running, Ubuntu is my OS of choice, but where options differ for RedHat or OpenSUSE installations, I will also offer the alternatives.  Before we get stuck into VMAX & Openstack, there are some requirements which must be met in advance of working through these guides:

• You have all required hardware set up and networks configured in advance of this working through this guide
  • You have Openstack & its block-storage service Cinder installed and running
  • You meet the base system requirements (outlined in 'An Inside Look Pt.1: Installation & Setup')
  • You have the required VMAX software suites necessary for Openstack to run (outlined in 'An Inside Look Pt.1: Installation & Setup')

OK! Lets begin...