Welcome to the IsilonSD Edge Information Hub. Here you can find documents and content related to IsilonSD Edge.
IsilonSD Edge is a software-defined storage solution that creates OneFS virtual clusters through the resources available on VMware ESXi hosts running on industry-standard hardware. The OneFS clusters are deployed as virtual machines (VMs) and drives are hosted on data disks.
IsilonSD Edge provides enterprise-class NAS features with persistent storage that is locally and directly attached. All other clients or virtual machines in the network can access IsilonSD Edge as their local NAS storage. This enables remote sites to have their own on-site scale-out NAS storage solutions running on a VMware ESXi host, on existing industry-standard hardware. IsilonSD Edge provides a solution with the same core functionality as Isilon OneFS, including all the OneFS software modules such as SyncIQ, SmartQuotas, and SmartDedupe. IsilonSD Edge components include the IsilonSD Management Server, IsilonSD Management Plug-in, and the OneFS virtual machine files. The management plug-in is bundled with the management server and automatically installs when the management server is deployed on an ESXi host and a VMware vCenter server is registered.
Couldn't find the information that you were looking for, or have suggestions for improving this page? Let us know! We're eager to help. You can add a comment below, or complete this brief survey.
Planning for IsilonSD Edge
See the IsilonSD Edge with IsilonSD Management Server 1.1.1 installation guide for information about installation, upgrade, administration, IsilonSD Edge prerequisites and compatible systems, licensing, and download instructions.
Other planning resources include:
Installation and Administration
IsilonSD Edge consists of IsilonSD Management Server and the OneFS virtual machine files (VMs). The management server binary file includes a free license and the IsilonSD Management Plug-in. All the IsilonSD Edge components must be deployed successfully to enable the software- defined storage feature. Deployment of every component follows a separate workflow. The process is described in detail in the version-appropriate IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide. See the Resources section on this page for the links to the guide.
Check the ECN Isilon community if you have any questions regarding the installation package. The general installation workflow is as follows:
- Contact your Isilon sales representative to verify that you have the appropriate license keys based on your cluster requirements.
- Verify the prerequisites for installing IsilonSD Edge. If you ignore this step, you might run into problems.
- Download the IsilonSD Edge installation package to a location on your system and unpack the file.
- Deploy the management server on the VMware ESXi host to create a virtual machine.
- Log in to the standalone management server interface, add license keys, and register one or more VMware vCenter instances.
- Connect to vCenter through the VMware vSphere Web Client. Make sure that you are able to see the management plug-in in vCenter.
- Deploy IsilonSD clusters and add nodes depending on your licenses.
When deployment succeeds, the management server is added to your VMware inventory. See the IsilonSD Edge With IsilonSD Management Server Installation and Administration Guide for detailed installation instructions.
Check this collection of Troubleshooting topics for answers to common IsilonSD Edge troubleshooting questions.
IsilonSD Edge and OneFS
- IsilonSD Edge with IsilonSD Management Server 1.1.1 Installation and Administration Guide
- IsilonSD Edge with IsilonSD Management Server 1.1.1 Release Notes (requires login to Online Support)
- OneFS 8.1.0 Documentation - Isilon Info Hub for links to the OneFS 8.1.0 documentation
- OneFS 8.0.1 Documentation - Isilon Info Hub for links to the OneFS 8.0.1 documentation
- OneFS 8.0.0 Documentation - Isilon Info Hub for links to the OneFS 8.0.0 documentation
Further Isilon Content