EMC Next-Generation VNX, EMC Storage Integrator for Windows Suite, Microsoft System Center 2012 SP1
- Reduce storage costs by using the VNX flash-optimized unified platform for file and block storage of your Microsoft applications
- Reduce operational costs by streamlining storage management and provisioning for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, and SQL Server with the EMC Storage Integrator for Windows Suite
- Gain agility by orchestrating advanced workflows and processes through ESI integration for Microsoft Private Cloud
This solution showcases an efficient virtual infrastructure with a cost-effective storage design that enhances a customer’s database, collaboration, and unified communications experience.
The solution provides the following configurations:
- A variety of Microsoft application workloads running on a unified storage infrastructure that is hosted on a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V cluster. Microsoft System Center 2012 SP1 with ESI for Windows Suite manages the environment.
- The Microsoft Server Message Block (SMB) 3.0 protocol-based infrastructure for Microsoft SQL Server 2012, SharePoint Server 2013, and Lync Server 2013 for up to 10,000 users.
- An iSCSI-based infrastructure for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 with up to 10,000 users.
- The EMC next-generation VNX series storage platform, used for both block (iSCSI) and file (SMB 3.0) access.
The key findings of this solution are as follows:
- Management, orchestration, and automation
- The ESI Management Packs for System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) allow SCOM 2012 SP1 to monitor the health and performance of EMC storage systems.
- The EMC SMI-S Provider allows System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 SP1 to easily manage and provision EMC storage.
- ESI Integration pack for System Center Orchestrator (SCO) 2012 SP1 allows automated provisioning and allocation of EMC storage with SCO 2012 SP1.
- Performance, availability, and efficiency
- The next-generation VNX series arrays, together with SMB 3.0, iSCSI block, and Microsoft Windows Server 2012, support a 10,000-user Microsoft application environment for Exchange Server 2013, SQL Server 2012, SharePoint Server 2013, and Lync Server 2013.
- FAST VP policies allow for the co-location of multiple workloads in the same storage pool, whichies
- FAST Cache improves the performance of applications on both the block level and file level. FAST Cache is easily deployed and the performance benefits are quickly evident.
- The average latency improvement with FAST Suite for the SMB 3.0 applications is more than 91%.
Table 1 lists the latency reduction in percentage.
Percent latency reduction
Solution architecture and configuration
This solution architecture validates a private cloud infrastructure for companies looking for enterprise consolidation with simplified management. This solution uses ESI for Windows Suite and System Center 2012 SP1 to manage compute, network, and storage resources in a hypervisor. A next-generation VNX array runs mixed workloads of SQL Server 2012, SharePoint Server 2013, and Lync 2013 on the SMB 3.0 file system, and Exchange Server 2013 runs on the iSCSI block system.
In this solution, we designed a typical customer environment running multiple Microsoft applications on an EMC next-generation VNX array. We built the entire infrastructure on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
Figure 2 displays the physical architecture of the solution.
System management showcase and configuration
This solution uses the following EMC and Microsoft components to provide a centralized management platform for an enterprise-level private cloud using EMC storage infrastructure. The EMC ESI and SMI-S components serve as the enablers for the Microsoft components. This section also explains the relationship between these EMC components and Microsoft components.
Table 2 shows the integration functions of EMC components and Microsoft components.
ESI Management Packs
Storage discovery and health monitoring
ESI Integration Pack
Automatic storage provision
Note: These components are free to EMC customers.
Interoperability with Microsoft components
Figure 2 is a visual representation of the relationship between the EMC and Microsoft components.
|Youtube Video playlist||EMC Integration for Microsoft Private Cloud Using EMC VNX Unified Storage - YouTube|
Everything Microsoft @ EMC
|ESI Integration Pack for SCO|
|SCOM 2012 SP1 with ESI Management Packs|
|Combined application performance test results||https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-30833|
Everything Microsoft @ EMC / YouTube: EMCProvenSolutions channel
Adding EMC VNX Unified Storage System into ESI Management Console
Using ESI Management Pack for SCOM to Monitor an EMC Storage System
Using ESI Integration Pack for SCO to provision a VM and storage