Commonly reported Microsoft cluster backup failure errors are,
- Unable to backup Microsoft cluster
- Not enough licenses
- Virtual clients are licensed
- Virtual client backing up to physical client
- Backup of physical node backs up virtual disk
- Error: 'RAP error: Unable to grant NT CLUSTER CLIENT license: Too many clients. Maximum is (n)'
- Error: 'Unable to grant NT CLUSTER CLIENT license to client (clientname)'
- Error: 'Unable to grant NT CLUSTER CLIENT license to client <client> Too many clients. Maximum is <number>'
- Error: 'savefs: path ... by default belongs to client (physical_client) and NOT client (virtual_client)'
- Error: '(client-name) nsrd: runq: NSR group Default exited with return code 1'
- Error: '(client-name):All nsrexec: authtype nsrexec'
- Error: 'nsrd: media notice: nsrmon exited with return code 7'
The inability to backup a Microsoft Cluster (MSCS) server client can occur for multiple reasons and may be systemic of multiple issues that need to be addressed. In order to provide the most accurate fix, apply one or more of the following fixes for the environment:
- Confirm that the proper number of license are available on the NetWorker server.
- Update the NetWorker client and server to the latest release.
- Rebooted each physical node in the cluster.
- Verify that NetWorker aliasing for the physical and virtual clients is correct.
- Verify that name resolution for physical and virtual clients is correct.
- Remove and re-add the base enabler to the NetWorker Server.
- Multiple client resources are configured for the same physical clients.
- Verify that cluster client did not take physical license.
Refer to KB article esg66667 for more information