In 2011, EMC entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with VMware and SAP to “develop tools and services that make it
easier for customers to adopt cloud and run SAP systems in next-generation cloud infrastructures with increasing levels of automation.”
A key component for this objective is a “Virtual Stack” inclusive of virtualized SAP application components as a full software stack on fully integrated VMware , SAP and EMC software/hardware system.
The EMC Solutions Group SAP Engineering team further built this reference architecture to address the consideration and requirements to build a private cloud to deliver SAP services. It is enabled by EMC VMAX 40K, EMC VPLEX, EMC RecoverPoint, EMC Avamar, EMC Data Domain, EMC Storage Replication Manager Suite, VMware vCloud Suite, SAP NetWeaver Landscape Virtualization Management
The key objectives of this reference architecture are listed as follows:
• Highlight common business drivers for an SAP private cloud.
• Provide industry-standard requirements for a private cloud.
• Review the components of a virtual stack that supports deploying a private cloud for SAP.
• Define a full feature catalog of private cloud for SAP.
• Demonstrate the service model for SAP.
• Illustrate example business scenarios for an SAP private cloud.
The physical architecture of the virtual stack is like below.
Adopting this SAP virtual stack enables the private cloud and provides the ability to:
• Build a secure private cloud that dramatically increases data center efficiency and business agility.
• Enable central IT with the capability of meeting SLAs for performance and availability with a wide variety of tenant organizations and end-users.
• Reduce CAPEX by making the most efficient use of the enterprise resources across data centers load balance and distribution.
• Simplify capacity planning by provisioning a visual resource consumption that allows decision making easier and assertive.
• Reduce OPEX by reducing human interference in provisioning, monitoring, backup, failover, and mass maintenance operations.
• Reduce your operational risk, with proactive and End-to-End monitoring of infrastructure and application.
• Minimize effort of customizing HA/DR protection of individual SAP systems standardizing and automating the DR process.
• Increase the scalability and data protection levels for mission-critical SAP systems by adopting EMC solutions.
• Increase the data protection security for mission-critical SAP systems by adopting RSA solutions.
• Ensure secure separation of tenants and provide more flexibility for service offerings.
For more detailed information regarding this solution, download the attached reference architecture below.