We know you have only one answer to that question... No customer can afford to miss strict protection service-level agreements (SLAs) on mission critical applications. Missed SLAs—including Recovery Point and Recovery Time Objectives (RPO, RTO)—can negatively affect application performance and even revenue. In this always-on age, the impact traditional backup has on application performance is unacceptable.
Show your customers how EMC ProtectPoint delivers 20x faster backup for critical workloads
EMC ProtectPoint provides your customers with a data protection solution that combines the simple recovery and cost-effective retention of traditional backup with the performance and ease of use of snapshots. ProtectPoint is a data protection solution that provides backup directly from EMC VMAX3 or EMC XtremIO to EMC Data Domain protection storage. As highlighted by eWeek, EMC ProtectPoint provides faster, more efficient backup for mission-critical applications while eliminating the impact of backup on application servers.
Customers normally classify databases into different categories in terms of size and criticality to the business. On the high end are large mission critical databases, generally over 10 TB (Terabytes), which cannot afford to be impacted by backup at all. Many customers are forced to use complex workarounds to avoid affecting production. These types of environments are ideal for ProtectPoint, as backup is fundamentally broken and a burden. These customers need a solution that will protect their mission critical data without compromise, and avoid your application or database all together. With ProtectPoint your customers can benefit from the following:
- Eliminate backup impact on application and database servers
- Gain up to 20x faster backup to meet stringent protection SLAs
- Reduce cost and complexity by eliminating traditional backup
Here’s how ProtectPoint works directly with primary storage and Data Domain to backup and restore:
First … there’s a backup agent on the application server, which empowers application owners to control their own backup and recovery. To start a ProtectPoint backup, an application owner triggers a backup at an application-consistent checkpoint. Unlike a traditional backup, the data is then never pulled back through the host – which means there is no impact on the application server.
Then, leveraging change-block tracking technology, ProtectPoint tracks changes since the latest backup to send only unique data directly to EMC Data Domain. During this process, no host resources are used, virtually eliminating performance impact on the database application.
Finally, the Data Domain system ingests and stores those blocks, and uses them to create an independent full backup in native format.
ProtectPoint’s full recovery is just as simple:
To start, the application owner has to trigger the recovery. Then, the primary storage reads the backup image from the Data Domain system and then pulls the appropriate data back over the network. After, the primary storage will replace the appropriate production LUN (Logical Unit Number) with the recovered copy.
Naturally, ProtectPoint also has the ability to carry out granular recoveries via instant access as well.
ProtectPoint offers application integration at two layers–either the native integration at the application layer or integration at the “file system” layer for applications that aren’t supported natively. ProtectPoint currently natively integrates with three major applications and databases: Oracle (via RMAN), SAP (via BR*Tools) and IBM DB2 (via Advanced Copy Services). A demo of ProtectPoint integration with Oracle can be found here: Link.
ProtectPoint brings together a trio of best-in-class EMC technology from our data protection and primary storage portfolio to provide storage integrated data protection including:
- Application Agents – enable simple granular recovery by providing application-consistent backup and recovery via native application utilities within Oracle, SAP, and IBM DB2
- Change Block Tracking Engine –minimizes impact on infrastructure by ensuring only unique data is sent directly from primary storage to Data Domain without impacting the application host
- Protection Storage - Reduce storage requirements by 10x to 30x and ensure reliable recovery every time with the industry-leading protection storage technology of Data Domain
Don’t let data protection be a bottleneck for your customers’ mission critical workloads.
Show your customers how EMC ProtectPoint can help them meet strict protection SLAs with the performance of a snapshot and the functionality of a backup:
- Learn more about EMC ProtectPoint and how it can end your customers’ protection backup bottlenecks.
- Share the EMC ProtectPoint webpage and LightBoard video to help initiate successful customer conversations around protection backup.
- Access and use the tools and resources available to you within the EMC ProtectPoint Enablement Center on the Partner Portal.