There’s been a lot of talk around the massive growth of unstructured data and how the rise of the 3rd Platform (mobile, cloud, big data, and social) will only accelerate this expansion.
The EMC Data Lake Foundation has helped many organizations tackle this Big Data challenge. However, as more organizations use hybrid cloud to run their data centers and employ increasingly dispersed global workforces, your customers have a new challenge:
How can an organization successfully expand their data lakes to remote/branch offices and the cloud, while strengthening the data lake at the core data center?
The Solution? EMC Data Lake 2.0
EMC announced 3 new products—EMC IsilonSD Edge, Isilon CloudPools and Isilon OneFS.Next (the future version of the Isilon OneFS operating system)—that form an edge-to-core-cloud approach that lets your customers to harnesses the power of data lake 2.0 to increase efficiency, cut costs, improve data protection, and get more value from their data assets.
The new offerings also create interesting opportunities for you to help clients transform how they store and use data—whether at the core, the edge, or the cloud.
Enhance your Customers’ Data Lake at the Core with the Next-Gen Isilon OneFS Operating System
When your customers use EMC Isilon to consolidate file-based, unstructured data into a data lake, they can eliminate costly storage silos, simplify management, increase data protection, and acquire more value from their data assets.
And, with built-in multi-protocol capabilities, Isilon can support a wide range of traditional and next-gen applications on a single platform—including powerful Big Data analytics that provide your customers to gain better insight and identify new opportunities to accelerate their businesses.
The new Isilon OneFS.Next operating system extends these benefits with enterprise-grade, continuous data center service and non-disruptive upgrade capabilities. It also enables the new Data Lake 2.0 edge-to-core-cloud approach.
Your opportunities at the Core:
- Demonstrate to existing Isilon customers how they can easily extend their Isilon data lake to edge locations and the cloud
- Reach a broader range of customers in various industries that need to store and manage over 50 TB of file data in their data center
Help Customers Manage and Protect Data Networked at the Edge with EMC IsilonSD Edge
A recent ESG study1 noted that 68% of organizations now have more than 10 TB of data per branch office (or on the edge), compared to just 23% in 2011.
Data at edge locations (e.g., remote or branch offices) is growing. These edge locations are often inefficient islands of storage, running with limited IT resources and inconsistent data protection practices. And, data at the edge generally lives outside of the business data lake, making it difficult to incorporate into data analytics projects.
EMC IsilonSD Edge addresses these challenges. EMC IsilonSD is a new family of software-defined storage products that leverages the power of EMC Isilon scale-out NAS and the Isilon OneFS operating system. As the first offering of the IsilonSD family, IsilonSD Edge provides software-defined storage solutions for edge locations.
IsilonSD Edge will be offered in two versions—a ‘free and frictionless’ download for non-production use, and a licensed version for production use.
Designed to simplify data and storage management, IsilonSD Edge:
- Scales to 36 TB of storage capacity in a single installation
- Allows businesses to consolidate data to the core data center and thereby extend the data lake to include edge locations
- Increases data protection at the edge by automatically replicating data to the core
Your opportunities at the Edge:
- Show existing Isilon customers how IsilonSD Edge can extend the power and simplicity of Isilon to edge locations using commodity off-the-shelf hardware
- Use the ‘free and frictionless’ download with new customers/potential prospects to introduce them to the advantages of Isilon scale-out NAS
- Expand your business by considering new prospects with networks of branch locations (e.g., healthcare chains, financial services, professional services)
Nearly all businesses today want to leverage the cloud to cut costs, simplify IT management, and gain virtually limitless storage capacity. But the question for many is how to integrate their on premise storage infrastructure with the cloud.
The new Isilon CloudPools software—which allows your customers to select from a number of public cloud services or use a private cloud based on EMC Elastic Cloud Storage (ECS)—provides the policy-based, automated tiering that enables your customers to seamlessly integrate with the cloud as an additional storage tier from the Isilon cluster at their data center.
CloudPools lets your customers address rapid data growth and optimize data center storage resources by using the cloud as a highly economical storage tier with massive storage capacity for cold or frozen data that is rarely used or accessed. This enables more valuable on premise storage resources to be used for more active data and applications. To secure data that is archived in the cloud, CloudPools encrypts data that is transmitted from the Isilon cluster at the core data center to the cloud storage service. This data remains encrypted in the cloud until it is retrieved and returned to the Isilon cluster at the data center.
Your opportunity at the Cloud
- Demonstrate to existing Isilon customers how they can easily embrace the cloud and seamlessly integrate their on premise Isilon storage with either public or private cloud services
- Target new customers and prospects across a broad range of industries at are looking to leverage cloud storage services, and who are stressed by rapidly growing data storage requirements
Capture the Core to Expand to the Edge
EMC IsilonSD Edge, Isilon CloudPools, and Isilon OneFS.Next will all be available in early 2016.
Between now and then, become more familiar with these new products and learn more about the advantages that Data Lake 2.0 can provide your clients. In addition, leverage the Isilon Scale-Out NAS campaign to position your organization as industry thought-leaders that provide customers the products and services they need to accelerate their Big Data success.
 Source: ESG Research Report, Remote Office/Branch Office Technology Trends, May 2015.