If you've been to either EMC World or VMworld before, you know that one of the big draws is the Hands-On Lab. Conference attendees can come to the lab area, sign up for any of the hands-on options offered, and have a virtual environment provisioned for their own personal use right there on the spot.
I've always found the labs to be a great way to explore new product features and test the management interface(s). Demos are nice, but at heart I'm a tech guy -- I want to try it for myself. The Hands-On Labs offer you the chance to take products for a test drive.
There will be a total of 200 seats available in the lab where EMC World attendees can come and take any of the 31 different labs being offered. Representatives from all the EMC Business Units, SD Specialists, and EMC SEs will all be on-hand supporting the Labs, ready to answer questions, and generally help ensure that you have the best Hands-On Lab experience possible.
The Hands-On Lab is located on the second floor of the Sands Expo Hall at the Venetian, immediately on the right-hand side as you enter the EMC Village.
Hands-On Lab Hours
The Hands-On Lab will be open during the hours listed below. The doors will close 30 minutes before the end of each day.
- Monday: 11:00 - 21:00
- Tuesday: 7:00 - 18:30
- Wednesday: 7:00 - 17:00
- Thursday: 7:00 - 14:00
There will be 31 different labs available. Attendees can take as many different labs as they like during the conference. Take 'em all, or just select the one or two you find particularly interesting. Each lab is designed to be 60 minutes in length, but the step--by-step guide makes the lab self-paced, so attendees can work at the speed they're comfortable with.
The labs are divided across the following categories:
- Applications and Databases
- Backup, Recovery, and Archiving
- Big Data Storage and Analytics
- Business Continuity and Disaster Avoidance
- ITaaS -- People, Process, Technology
- Security and Compliance
- Storage Automation and Management
- Storage Platforms, FAST, and Flash
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing
The individual labs available are:
- LAB01 -- Storage Resource Management (SRM) Suite – Visualize, Analyze, Optimize
- LAB02 -- VNX with AppSync Lab: Simple Management, Advanced Protection
- LAB03 -- EMC Software-Defined Storage (SDS)
- LAB04 -- Atmos Cloud Storage: Mature, Robust, and Ready to Rock
- LAB05 -- EMC NetWorker Backup and Recovery for Next-Generation Microsoft Environments
- LAB06 -- Flexible and Efficient Backup and Recovery for Microsoft SQL Always-On Availability Groups using EMC NetWorker
- LAB07 -- Easier and Faster VMware Backup and Recovery with EMC Avamar For the Storage Administrator
- LAB08 -- Automated Backup and Recovery for Your Software-Defined Data Center with EMC Avamar
- LAB09 -- Taking Backup and Archiving To New Heights with EMC SourceOne and EMC Data Domain
- LAB10 -- Optimizing Backups for Oracle DBAs with EMC Data Domain and EMC Data Protection Advisor
- LAB11 -- Operational and Disaster Recovery using RecoverPoint
- LAB12 -- Achieving High Availability in SAP Environments Using VMware ESXi Clusters and VPLEX
- LAB13 -- VPLEX Metro with RecoverPoint: 3-site Solution for HighAvailability and Disaster Recovery
- LAB14 -- Introduction to VMAX Cloud Edition
- LAB15 -- Replication for the VMAX Family
- LAB16 -- Performance Analyzer for the VMAX Family
- LAB17 -- Introduction to the VMAX Family
- LAB18 -- Storage Provisioning and Monitoring with EMC Storage Integrator (ESI 2.1) and Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
- LAB19 -- EMC Isilon Compliance Mode Cluster Setup, Configuration, and Management Simplicity
- LAB20 -- EMC Isilon Enterprise-Ready with OneFS 7.0 Enhancements
- LAB21 -- RSA Cloud Security and Compliance
- LAB22 -- VMware vSphere Integration with VNX
- LAB23 -- VNX Unisphere Analyzer
- LAB24 -- VNX/VNXe Storage Monitoring & Analytics For Your Business Needs
- LAB25 -- VNX Data Efficiency
- LAB26 -- VNXe Unisphere Administration & Snapshots
- LAB27 -- EMC VSPEX Virtualized Infrastructure for End-User Computing
- LAB28 -- Collaborative Big Data Analysis with the Greenplum Unified Analytics Platform
- LAB29 -- Manage Your vCloud Suite Applications with VMware vFabric Application
- LAB30 -- Discover VMware Horizon Workspace
- LAB31 -- Deploy and Operate Your Cloud with the VMware vCloud Suite
Hands-On Lab Infrastructure
Wondering what's powering those 31 labs and 200 seats? The labs themselves are being served to the Venetian in Las Vegas from EMC's massive datacenter in Durham, North Carolina. The main infrastructure is a combination of the VCE Vblock with some XtremIO added for an additional performance boost.
The virtual machines are all being served up using a combination of VMware vSphere 5.1 and the vCloud Director. Cisco is providing not only the network layer, but the compute layer as well with UCS blade servers. Underneath it all is EMC VNX and XtremIO.
Expect to see on-the-spot prizes and giveaways.
Additionally, anyone who takes any of the lab sessions and completes a brief feedback survey afterwards will automatically be entered in a daily drawing for an Apple TV.
Hope to see you there!