Oracle recently released support for EMC VPLEX on generic Linux platforms. This is another step in the right direction for the Oracle / EMC alliance. The VPLEX family contains the only products in the world that can deliver information mobility and access within, across, and between data centers.
RAC Technologies Matrix for Linux Platforms
- Oracle will support the Oracle software on clusters comprised of RAC compatible technologies and supported software combinations
- Please consult your hardware and software vendors as not all vendors may choose to support their hardware or software in every possible cluster combination
- For RAC database and server virtualization (Oracle VM, LPAR, vPAR, LDOM, etc.) support see here.
- For RAC database and SAP certification information see SAP support note 527843.
- To use Oracle Clusterware, even in a non-RAC environment, the RAC hardware and software requirements must be met (unless otherwise stated.)
- Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) is supported. Unified fabric (shared storage, private, and public networks) is supported with Cisco switches. See MetaLink Note 948372.1.
- Hitachi Compute Blade (also known as BladeSymphony) and Hitachi Virtualization Manager (HVM, also known as Virtage) are supported with Oracle RAC 10.2.0.5 and 126.96.36.199 or higher with OEL and RHEL 5.x (5.4 or higher)
- EMC VPLEX technology is supported.
What are the main benefits of using VPLEX with Oracle RAC over distance?
- Continuous database availability through network, server, storage and site failures
- Database sessions automatic failover using Oracle Transparent Application failover (TAF) Scale out architecture and full read-write access to the same database at both sites (no idle hardware at standby site)
- Simplification of deployment by using VPLEX:
- - Hosts need only to connect to local VPLEX cluster, no complex cross-connect
- - No need to deploy difficult to manage Oracle voting disk and clusterware on a third site
- - No costly host CPU cycles consumed on mirroring - I/O sent only once from host to the VPLEX then VPLEX manages the replication
- - Ability to create consistency groups that protect multiple databases or application files as a unit
- - VPLEX volumes do not require an application downtime or LUN ID changes during storage hardware refresh and migrations
- - Easy disaster recovery testing and validation because both sites are active