Disaster Recovery (DR) can be a daunting task. With the complexities of orchestrating migrations, testing, and failover procedures, DR is often avoided or approached half-heartedly. That said, DR can’t be ignored. Like an insurance policy, you hope you never have to use it but are extremely grateful to have it when the need arises.
In late 2014, EMC and Microsoft teamed to provide an offering that reduces many of the complexities and stresses behind DR. As an early adopter of Azure Site Recovery (ASR), EMC VMAX and VNX SANs are natively compatible with ASR, opening up a variety of opportunities for Disaster Recovery planning, testing, and implementation.
Azure Site Recovery
ASR, simply stated, is a cloud-based DR orchestration service that coordinates the replication and recovery of entire private clouds—including dozens or hundreds of virtual machines—across sites. The list of ASR capabilities also includes
- Automated protection and replication of VMs
- Remote health monitoring
- Customizable recovery plans
- No-impact recovery plan testing
- Orchestrated recovery when needed
- Replicate to – and recover in Azure or a physical location
- Support of Linux, Windows, VMware, Xen, Hyper-V and many other OS’s and environments
EMC & ASR
With EMC and ASR, you have the choice of a variety of DR implementations.
Replicate to your own secondary datacenter
Allows you to leverage the ease of cloud-based orchestration to manage DR to a secondary physical site.
Replicate to a hosting service provider
Similar to the first approach, ASR can be used to orchestrate your DR with the secondary site being hosted by a service provider.
Replicate to Azure
This approach relies on ASR for orchestration and replicates to an Azure-hosted secondary site.
During EMC’s testing we found ease-of-use, support for mixed environments, whole-site failover, and no-impact recovery testing to be standout features. By combining ASR with EMC’s leading VNX and VMAX SANs, you’ll be assured of continued high levels of performance and security for your ASR DR solutions. Read the EMC + Microsoft ASR Case Study to learn more or see the additional links below.
- EMC VMAX SRDF + Microsoft Azure Site Recovery (ThinBlueLineBlog.com)
- Azure Site Recovery (Microsoft.com)
- Building Enterprise Hybrid Clouds with Microsoft Azure and EMC Technology (EMC.com)