Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

April 28th, 2024 22:40

XPS 8940 - so many many BIOS updates. What's the deal?

I was told that a BIOS update is a very rare thing that should only be done when ABSOLUTELY necessary.  It seems like since I've owned the XPS 8940, I've done at least 8 or so BIOS updates.  That's insane.  I'm not really looking for an answer here.  I'm just complaining.  Seems like that's an excessive amount of BIOS flashes.  I'm wondering if I got a lemon for a computer.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 28th, 2024 22:49

@RayR10 

BIOS updates are not rare. Certainly when the PC is new and problems are discovered.

However, the code also has some Security Functions as well. Unfortunately Dell seems to put this 'boilerplate statement' on all releases:

==================

Dell Technologies highly recommends applying this important update as soon as possible. The update contains critical bug fixes and changes to improve functionality, reliability, and stability of your Dell system. It may also include security fixes and other feature enhancements.

==================

Some people have the opposite thoughts on updating the BIOS, only do it if you have a problem.

Unless Dell would ever state WHAT is fixed in the new BIOS (they have occasionally, when the prior release clearly broke something, like AMD cards) you might decide to not install it.

Dell usually states the Security Fixes by its own labeling but not always.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 29th, 2024 01:03

BIOS updates to fix security issues (blame Intel) are typically marked "Critical" while BIOS updates to fix other non-security issues are typically marked "Recommended".

(edited)

2 Intern

• 

171 Posts

April 29th, 2024 16:27

While I think we can all agree the XPS 8940 is not Dell at its best going by all the complaints, I have not had problems with the units I have dealt with (only a few of them).

Also, many OEM's are having a hard time with all the rapid changes and complexity so it's not just Dell.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

April 30th, 2024 13:41

Not a single problem wity my 8940 with almost three years of use.  I added a hard drive.  Nothing else.

(edited)

2 Intern

• 

231 Posts

May 2nd, 2024 21:20

A lot of OEM manufacturers do a lot of Firmware updates for CVEs because of the sure amount of computers they sell. It used to be the typical if it ain't broke don't flash it mentality. But with today's threats to cybersecurity, they push a lot of direct hardware updates. The chances of you getting a firmware exploit from the internet are extremely low and remote. 

However, in a business setting the chances someone could use a firmware exploit on direct hardware to gain access to resources on a cooperate network is much higher.  Lots of Businesses buy XPS systems. 

No Events found!