Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

56 Posts

May 1st, 2024 19:48

XPS 8300, BIOS drive configuration has changed

I have owned this XPS 8300 since it was new. I just do not know what I have done to change the settings I see in the Drive Configuration. What I see that most of the primary drives are turned off. First the Sata primary drive is off, Next the Sata Secondary drive goes to the Hard Drive. The Primary Master Drive is Off, next The Primary Slave drive is Off. Last is the secondary Master drive goes to CD-ROM and the Secondary Slave  drive goes to the other CD-ROM. The IDE drive UDMA IS ON. I Thought all drives are supposed to be PRIMARY. If I switch all of the offs to Auto. A reboot comes up auto change to unknown. A couple years ago I replace my hard drive and both of my cd drives. I hope someone has an idea if anything is correct in the Drive configuration. Appreciate any help.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

May 1st, 2024 20:40

First step for troubleshoot the issue is to replace a new fresh coin cell battery, CR2032.  Then reset CMOS using jumper.  Refer to this discussion for the motherboard layout, battery and jumper locations  https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/desktops-general-locked-topics/xps-8300-pcie-question/647f2fb9f4ccf8a8de59dd32

After system reset, BIOS settings will be restored to default value.  You will need to make adjustment to SATA mode (RAID/AHCI) to match as boot drive setup in order for system to boot again, Note that XPS 8300 uses SATA storage controller and there is no need for master/slave setup.

No Events found!