Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

F

19 Posts

July 31st, 2023 10:00

Unable to set access permissions on NAS

I had an Iomega 4-bay NAS that functioned quite happily - accessible through Windows Explorer from any of the PCs on my ethernet wired network. Then the power plug/socket on the NAS overheated and trashed the device.

As a quick solution to retrieve the data on the disks I bought a used Netgear ReadyNAS NVX thinking I could simply put the disks in that and all would be well - wrong! The operating system on the Netgear is different to the Iomega so the disks could not be read.

In desperation, I used a data recovery tool to extract some information and then performed a factory reset on the Netgear so that all the disks were formatted to its system. They all appear as healthy in Netgear's Raidiator software on Firefox. The NAS also appears in Windows Explorer but any attempt to access it produces the message "...not accessible...you might not have permission to access this resource. This user can't sign in because this account is currently disabled."

Entering the NAS IP address (static) into a browser produces a sign-in box for Username and Password, but on entering the relevant words simply brings up the box again and again.

Please can anyone offer ways to gain access so that I can actually use these disks?

• 

8.5K Posts

August 1st, 2023 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

Do you have a Dell EMC product that you need assistance with?  You may want to check with Netgear on drive compatibility.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

August 2nd, 2023 09:00

Hello,

I have posted numerous requests on Netgear forums without replies. Other posts indicate incompatibility with the SSL or cyphers and the only solutions seem to require access to the Netgear Apache operating system. This is beyond my expertise.

The Iomega NAS only required interconnections with my Dell PCs (via an Ethernet switch) to be up and running. I fear the Netgear is a dead-end unless I can resolve the access problems.

Regards

M

No Events found!