Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

37 Posts

June 28th, 2023 15:00

Cannot Delete Host in Unisphere

I have a VNXe3200 with System Software version 3.1.14.10199487.  We have an ESXi host that has failed, so I'd like to remove it from the list of hosts in Unisphere.

In Unisphere, I navigate to Access, Hosts, then check the box in front of the host I wish to delete and click the delete icon.

I get an error box stating "job.hostservice.task.DeleteHost.......................Failed".  I can't find any other useful information on why the host can't be deleted.

Any thoughts on why the host can't be deleted?

The host hasn't actually completely failed, but a heat sink detached from the system board, so the host shuts down within 10 minutes of powering up due to overheating.  So, I was able to remove all iSCSI connections on the host and restart it, so that none of the VNXe3200 LUNs and associated datastores are now present on the failed server.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 29th, 2023 00:00

Hello mjtEF,

You will need to make sure that you remove the host from all storage groups as well, before you can delete the host.  Once the host has been removed from all storage groups then you can deregister the host and it will be removed from your system.

37 Posts

June 29th, 2023 04:00

Thank you for your response.  I did not find Storage Groups anywhere in the version of Unisphere that I have, but your tip got me thinking that there must be some other place in Unisphere where I needed to first remove the ESXi host.  I found it under STORAGE > VMware.  For each VMware Datastore to which the ESXi host was granted access, I edited the Datastore, switched to the Access tab, checked the box in front of the ESXi host, and clicked the Delete icon to remove access for it.  I was then able to return to ACCESS > Hosts and remove the failed ESXi host.

No Events found!