Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

February 18th, 2024 18:56

U2724DE using USB-C and Surface Pro 8 (Win11)

Hi Everyone.

I have a new U2724DE which is connected to power and has the provided USB-C thunderbolt 4 cable connected to a Surface Pro 8 running Win11.

I have an issue when the Surface Pro goes to sleep, the monitor may not be detected when it comes out of sleep. The monitor polls the Surface Pro saying Thunderbolt signal not detected. If I reboot the Surface Pro, or power cycle the monitor (via power plug), or unplug the USB-C and plug it back in, then the U2724DE may sometimes be detected. I've also gone through MS recommendations for using the 'surface dock registry.reg' file to clean up the appropriate registry entries. I also do not see any new relevant drivers or firmware updates for the monitor or surface pro available from MS or Dell.

What should I do?

Another minor gripe is this monitor continually wakes up to say 'no thunderbolt detected etc' while the Surface Pro is asleep. Unless I turn the monitor off, the monitor will light up the room after hours which appear to annoy my pets.

One thing this monitor does correctly is keep my Surface Pro charged. Otherwise I may be looking at reconnecting the charge cable and driving the monitor in a different way (USB-C to DP maybe) although I'd rather not.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 14th, 2024 22:00

I just did the "optional" firmware update for this monitor. The update will take you from FW: M3T101 to M3T102. Over the last two days I have had no problems connecting to the U2724DE. I used to power-cycle the U2724DE at least once a day in order to reset it and connect to my Surface Pro. Fingers crossed by so far looks good.

I would call this update mandatory if you are having a connection issue over USB-C.

(edited)

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

February 28th, 2024 16:40

The team tested using a Surface Pro 8 (Windows 11) with the system configuration below and could not duplicate the issue. 

Graphics driver: 31.0.101.3889
CPU: i7-1185G7
BIOS: Microsoft Corporation 23.101.143 2023/08/14
OS version: 10.0.22621

Update all of the drivers and bios on your Surface Pro 8 and retest.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

February 28th, 2024 23:43

Thanks Chris,

Here is my current level of updates. There are no other recommended or optional updates I can do.

Graphics driver: 31.0.101.3889

CPU i5-1135G7

OS Windows 11

OS Version 10.0.22621.1

Surface UEFI (BIOS): 23.200.143.0 - 2023-11-07

I can always make the U2724DE work if I un-power it, then power it up. The monitor is detected. Once the Surface Pro 8 goes to sleep, it may or may not be detected again when it wakes up. At night, I turn the monitor off (power button) otherwise it constantly wakes up. In the morning when I power it up using the power button, it may or may not connect to the surface. A hard reset always works though.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 5th, 2024 02:02

After reconnecting USB-C and installing the Dell Display Manager, I am not having intermittent operation. It appears as though the ddm software is required as I should have had issues by now.

The only thing left is to eventually remove the continual and annoying sync and sleep messages while the computer is asleep.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 6th, 2024 03:06

Nope, it is back to doing the same thing again, the Dell Display Manager did not fix my issue. This morning I woke my Surface Pro up and the monitor did not come on. Well, I suppose I will be waiting for updates.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 29th, 2024 16:02

Just did the latest 23H2 and still no luck. My U2724DE monitor on a daily basis never wakes from sleep. The method I use to cope with this is put the Surface Pro in sleep, unplug the 120V monitor, plug it back in, then waking the Surface Pro connects to the monitor. I don't have enough information to know if this is a monitor bug, or Surface driver bug or something. I never had issues with previous non USB-C monitors.

No Events found!