Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 29th, 2024 21:13

Dell SC 4020 constantly sending alternating messages denoting a failure and being normalized for Drive

I am getting these messages for a drive repeatedly indicating a failure but then subsequently getting a message saying it's normalized.  However, when I log into storage manager it doesn't show the drive as having an issue, so I don't actually know if it needs to be replaced or not.

I am currently out of support at present and I was told I might be able to receive help in this forum.  Would I be able to have tech in this forum be able to take a look to determine if the drive really does need to be replaced or not?  it's a pretty expensive drive so I don't want to replace it if I don't need to.

'

"Alert created on controller '77967' for object [internal ref: 'Enclosure 1 1'] - [FailureAlert]: Enclosure component 01-01 in Enclosure - 1 is indicating a failure condition."

Alert normalized on controller '77967' for object [internal ref: 'Enclosure 1 1'] - [FailureAlert]: Enclosure component 01-01 in Enclosure - 1 is indicating a failure condition."

Thank you for any help

Jonathan

• 

2.2K Posts

April 30th, 2024 09:52

Hello Jonathan, 

I can tell it is mostlikely spam message. I encountered a similar case back in time and controller caused similar messages. So I believe you also have same issue and it’s advisable not to depend solely on the system log messages or the alerts being received, as they are often too broad to pinpoint the exact problem. I mean those messages are too generic to validate the issue. 

Hope that helps!

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 30th, 2024 17:46

@DELL-Erman O​ Thank you for your input on this.  So your recommendation is take the Alerts and log messages with a grain of salt, but rely more on what's happening in storage center (for instance browsing to the drive to verify whether or not it's flagged)?

At first, I thought it could be flapping but I monitored the drive in Storage Center while I received both messages and it was never flagged.  

Is it possible it can be predicting a failure soon?  

Is there a way to reset or those messages?  I don't want to turn off alerts, but my inbox just keep filing up with messages every few minutes.

Thanks again for your help.

• 

3.3K Posts

April 30th, 2024 18:57

Hello,

If the drive looks good and you want to clear the alert and monitor it, you can to it this way:

Storage Center Alert: The Enclosure Component is Indicating a Failure Condition.

https://dell.to/3WrHTHj

To clear this alert, right click the alert and acknowledge the alert.

Monitor that and if the alert comes back you should look at replacing the drive.

No Events found!