Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

May 6th, 2024 00:08

Aurora R16, 2nd intake fan

So I just added a 2nd intake fan using and using a SATA Powered PWM Splitter. When I booted my R16 up I get a Fan error message and my fans start running full blast. I don't know what next step to take any help would be apricated.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

May 6th, 2024 03:00

Fans need to be connected to the Mobo fan headers or a USB controller to be monitored/controlled. If only connected to power with a splitter, they're only gonna run full speed. You can buy a 4-pin fan splitter for the board header or only connect the second fan to the 'dumb' power splitter. Usually there's more than one fan header on decent desktop boards or they add a fan controller box from the factory - most prebuilts can accomidate multiple fans but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if they only have one board header for yours given Dell often uses proprietary boards with missing standard features.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

May 6th, 2024 14:19

Not sure what "SATA Powered PWM Splitter" is, because you don't modulate fan control with a SATA powered fan. You can use a PWM Y-splitter cable to connect a second fan, making sure your Dell OEM fan is connected to the 4-pin side of the PWM Y-splitter cable. No SATA power required.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 6th, 2024 15:02

@ProfessorW00d​ I think it's a SATA powered fan controller as there's likely no 4 PIN Fan header available on the motherboard to connect an extra fan.

If that is what it is, a Y-splitter is the best option as you already pointed out. I know some fans come with their own controller as they need it for a reason, but a regular fan does not need a special fan controller.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 12th, 2024 02:20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B093ST9W5L?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

you need this type of connector. You plug it into the mobo fan header, then plug both fans into the splitter and plug the data adapter into the hard drive sata slot at the bottom and it’ll work fine, it’s what I used.

No Events found!